Empowering citizens – Raising the aspirations of European higher education
In its submission to the Interim Evaluation of Erasmus+, the Guild emphasises the importance of raising the aspirations for the programme. Erasmus+ must reach its full potential to serve the present and future needs of European citizens in a fast-changing world. Closely building on the Guild’s perspectives regarding the EU’s Agenda for the Modernisation of Higher Education, the Guild calls for an increased budget for Erasmus+ in order to:
- Strengthen the educational impact of the mobility programmes by increasing opportunities for learning foreign languages, introducing grants for short-term exchange of PhD students and offering opportunities for learning exchange combining virtual and physical participation.
- Support the career prospects of students by providing more opportunities for internships and entrepreneurship education across disciplines, beyond the current remit of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT).
- Provide additional strategic support for institutional development by increasing the funding for Strategic Partnerships, capacity-building projects as well as Knowledge Alliances.
- Introduce additional simplification to application and reporting processes.
Citizens need new skills to enable them to participate fully in a fast-changing world. To support their development, Erasmus+ must:
- Strengthen intercultural skills and encourage self-reflection to enhance learning.
- Create opportunities for students to learn transferrable skills (digital literacy, numeracy, creativity, etc.)
- Introduce new ways of including students in EU-funded research and innovation projects.
One of the Guild’s key interventions envisions a new international scholarship programme to attract some of the best students in the world. Scholars would be distinguished by academic excellence, as well as a commitment to leadership and public service. The programme would promote the global attractiveness of European higher education in a new and ambitious way.