Guild Forum on European Universities: Towards a new vision for Europe's higher education sector
Join us for a debate on the next steps for European Universities with Director-General Themis Christophidou, Minister Valérie Glatigny, other representatives of the European Commission, and University Presidents and Vice-Presidents from a range of alliances. The event will be followed by a networking reception.
Click here to view the full programme.
The European Universities Initiative has triggered substantial enthusiasm, energy and creativity amongst universities, inspiring national leaders, ministries, university staff and students alike. Following the success of the first pilot call, how can we ensure that European University alliances deliver on their ambitious objectives? The Guild Forum will discuss how this initiative can help accelerate institutional change and help universities retain their position amongst the best in the world. It will explore how EU programmes and Member States can support alliances in delivering on their joint strategy. Given the extensive efforts that are being devoted to this initiative across Europe, this event will address a crucial question: can European Universities transform the higher education sector for good?
Panellists will address key issues of academic concern:
- Innovative strategies for bringing together education, research and innovation, and creating meaningful links between the European Research Area and the European Education Area
- New impulses for how alliances can increase benefits to their local economies and regions, while articulating the societal value of science to the wider public.
- Examining how partners from outside of the EU/EEA can bring added value to the alliances' vision, given the complexity of building trust and creating effective governance models within European Universities.
Click below to watch the full event (starts at minute 33:00):
Click here to see photos from the event.
13h30 REGISTRATION AND WELCOME DRINKS
14h00 OPENING REMARKS
Prof. Vincent Blondel, Chair of The Guild and Rector of UCLouvain
14h10 KEYNOTE SPEECH
Themis Christophidou, Director-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture, European Commission
Valérie Glatigny, Minister of Higher Education and Research, Federation, Wallonia-Brussels, Belgium
14h40 PANEL DISCUSSION:
Opportunities to bring together education, research and innovation
- Prof. Vincent Blondel, Chair of The Guild and Rector of UCLouvain
- Sophia Eriksson Waterschoot, Director for Youth, Education and Erasmus+, DG EAC, European Commission
- Apostolia Karamali, Head of Academic R&I and Research organisations Unit, DG RTD, European Commission
- Prof. dr. hab. Stanisław Kistryn, Vice-Rector for Research and Structural Funds, Jagiellonian University, UNA Europa
15h40 COFFEE BREAK
16h00 PANEL DISCUSSION:
Civic engagement - the role of universities in local communities
- Prof. Antoine Cazé, Vice-President for International Relations, Université Paris Diderot, Circle U
- Prof. Stuart Croft, Vice-Chancellor and President of the University of Warwick, EUTOPIA
- Vanessa Debiais-Sainton, Head of Unit, Higher Education, DG EAC, European Commission
- Prof. Dr. Martin Paul, President of Maastricht University, Chair of the YUFE alliance
17h00 PANEL DISCUSSION:
International collaboration - alliances going beyond the EU / EEA
- Dr. Klaus Birk, Director, Erasmus+ Agency Higher Education, DAAD
- Prof. Dr. Monique Scheer, Vice-President of International Affairs, University of Tübingen, CIVIS
- Dr. Vanessa Scherrer, Vice President for International Affairs, Sciences Po Paris, CIVICA
- Vivienne Stern, Director of Universities UK International
18h00 NETWORKING RECEPTION
Prof. Jan Palmowski
Secretary-General, The Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities