Guild Forum on European Universities: Towards a new vision for Europe's higher education sector
Join us for a debate on the next steps for European University alliances with Director-General Themis Christophidou, other representatives of the European Commission, and selected alliances. The event will be followed by a networking reception.
The European University initiative has triggered substantial enthusiasm, energy and creativity amongst universities, inspiring national leaders, ministries, university staff and students alike. Following the success of the first pilot call, how can we ensure that European University alliances deliver on their ambitious objectives? The Guild Forum will discuss how this initiative can help accelerate institutional change and help universities retain their position amongst the best in the world. It will explore how can EU programmes and Member States support alliances in delivering on their joint strategy. Given the extensive efforts that are being devoted to this initiative across Europe, this Forum will address a crucial question: can European Universities transform the higher education sector for good?
Panellists will address key issues of academic concern:
- Innovative strategies for bringing together education, research and innovation, including creating meaningful links between the European Research Area and the European Education Area
- New impulses for how alliances can increase benefits to their local economies and regions, while at the same time articulating the societal value of science to the wider public.
- Examining how partners from outside of the EU/EEA can bring added value to the alliances' vision, given the complexity of building trust and creating effective governance models within European Universities.
Prof. Jan Palmowski
Secretary-General, The Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities
13h30 // 14h00 REGISTRATION AND WELCOME DRINKS
14h00 // 14h10 OPENING REMARKS
Prof. Vincent Blondel, Chair of The Guild and Rector of UCLouvain
14h10 // 14h30 KEYNOTE SPEECH
Themis Christophidou, Director-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture, European Commission
14h30 // 14h40 ADDRESS
Valérie Glatigny, Minister of Higher Education and Research, Federation, Wallonia-Brussels, Belgium
14h40 // 15h40 PANEL DISCUSSION: Opportunity to bring together education, research and innovation
- Apostolia Karamali, Head of Academic R&I and Research organisations Unit, DG RTD, European Commission
- Prof. dr. hab. Stanisław Kistryn, Vice-Rector for Research and Structural Funds, Jagiellonian University, UNA Europa
- Sophia Eriksson Waterschoot, Director for Youth, Education and Erasmus+, DG EAC, European Commission
- Prof. Vincent Blondel, Chair of The Guild and Rector of UCLouvain
15h40 // 16h00 COFFEE BREAK
16h00 // 17h00 PANEL DISCUSSION: Civic engagement - the role of universities in local communities
- Prof. Antoine Cazé, Vice-President for International Relations, Université Paris Diderot, Circle U.
- Begoña Arano, Head of Unit, Innovation and EIT, DG EAC, European Commission
- Prof. Dr. Martin Paul, President of Maastricht University, Chair of the YUFE alliance
- Prof. Seán Hand, Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Europe) of the University of Warwick, EUTOPIA
17h00 // 18h00 PANEL DISCUSSION: International collaboration - alliances going beyond Europe
- Dr. Klaus Birk, Director, Erasmus+ Agency Higher Education, DAAD
- Prof. Dr. Monique Scheer, Vice-President of International Affairs, University of Tübingen, CIVIS
- Dr. Vanessa Scherrer, Vice President for International Affairs, Sciences Po Paris, CIVICA
- Vivienne Stern, Director of Universities UK International
18h00 NETWORKING RECEPTION